There are several conditions that must be met in order for the Toyota RAV4 stop start system to automatically shut off the engine into standby mode. If the Toyota RAV4 start stop is not working, rather than a fault, it’s likely to be one or more conditions that have not been met.
If one of the conditions required for start stop are not met, you may see the stop start unavailable warning light along with a message. The following conditions for the Toyota RAV4 engine stop start system to operate are:
- The vehicle has been driven a certain amount of time.
- The brake pedal is being firmly pressed (exception being when the vehicle is stopped by the dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed range when in vehicle to-vehicle distance control mode).
- The accelerator pedal is not being pressed.
- The steering wheel is not being operated.
- The vehicle shift position is set to Drive (D).
- The driver’s seat belt is fastened.
- The driver’s door is closed.
- The hood / bonnet is closed.
- The drive mode must be normal mode or ECO mode.
- Auto stop start will not function with Snow Mode enabled (AWD models of the RAV4).
- Auto stop start will not function with Mud & Sand or Rock & Dirt Mode enabled for Multi-terrain Select (AWD models of the RAV4).
- The windshield demister is not active.
- The windshield defogger is off (vehicles without a manual air conditioning system).
- The engine is sufficiently warmed up from a cold start.
- The outside temperature is 23°F (-5°C) or higher.
- The battery has sufficient charge. This can include the battery being under a large electric load, or the vehicle has been parked for an extended period of time.
- The battery fluid temperature is not excessively low or the battery has not deteriorated.
- The battery is not undergoing a periodic recharge.
- The air conditioning system is not in use.
- The brake booster vacuum is not too low.
- There’s sufficient time between the previous engine start.
- The vehicle is not stopped too frequently.
- When the engine coolant temperature or transmission fluid temperature is extremely low or high.
- The vehicle has not stopped on an incline.
- The vehicle is not being driven at high altitude.
- Engine stop start may not function for a period of time after the battery terminals have been disconnected and reconnected.
Toyota RAV4 Warning Lights
If you’re looking to find out the meaning of a RAV4 warning light, see Toyota RAV4 dashboard Warning lights.