Japanese car maker Toyota has been manufacturing the Yaris since 1999. The Toyota Yaris dashboard warning lights detailed below cover the latest two generations and show a symbol, what the warning symbol means and in some cases, what to do based on the manufacturers recommendations.
If a warning light illuminates on your Toyota Yaris dashboard, always investigate to find out how important it is. This is particularly important if the light is red. Red warning lights represent the most urgent and if ignored may result in vehicle damage or risk to vehicle occupants.
|Symbol||Warning Light Description / Action|
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris triangle warning light.
Description: The warning triangle containing an exclamation mark comes on or flashes when the master warning system has detected a malfunction. A message may display on the multi-information display alongside the warning light. If the warning triangle illuminates continuously, there may be a fault with the battery management system or the brake switch. For further information on this fault symbol, see Toyota master warning light explained.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris brake system warning light.
Description: The brake system warning light has the following functions:
• The red brake warning light illuminates when the parking brake is applied. It turns off when the parking brake is fully released. If the brake warning light is illuminated, ensure the parking brake if properly released.
• If the parking brake is properly released, you may have low brake fluid levels. Stop as soon as safely possible and check brake fluid levels. Top up if required.
• If the parking brake is fully released and the brake fluid level is acceptable, there may be a fault with the vehicle braking system. It's advised at this stage to discontinue driving until you have received advice from an authorised VW workshop.
Yellow brake warning light
On certain models of Toyota Yaris, the brake warning light may illuminate in yellow. This signifies a less critical fault, though any brake related faults should be investigated immediately.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris ABS warning light.
Description: ABS stands for 'anti-lock braking system' and is an additional braking aid that prevents the wheels from locking up during heavy braking. If the ABS warning light comes on, this feature will be disabled but traditional brakes remain operational. There will be an increased risk of locking wheels while braking. Have system checked as soon as possible.
ABS and brake warning light
The illumination of both the ABS warning light and the brake warning light simultaneously means that the electronic brake force distribution control unit has reported a malfunction with the electronic brake force distribution (EBD or EBFD). This is another brake support system which automatically varied the amount of braking force on individual wheels, resulting in better performing brakes / stopping ability. Normal brakes will operate, but have system checked as soon as possible.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris battery warning light.
Description: Under normal circumstances, the battery warning light comes on with the ignition and should go out shortly after the engine has started. If the battery light stays on or comes on while driving, it means the battery is no longer being charged and it indicates a malfunction of the alternator or of the charging system. Electricity is required to keep your car running, in this instance the car will be running off the battery alone. The battery will run flat, so switch off any electrical systems that are not essential and immediately make your way to a repair workshop. See why is my car battery warning light on.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris low oil pressure warning light.
Description: The low oil pressure warning light is one of the most critical. If ignored, severe engine damage may occur. If the low oil pressure warning light illuminates while driving:
1. Pull off the road as soon as it's safe to do so, ideally on level ground.
2. Switch off the engine and wait for 5 minutes for the engine oil to drain into the oil pan.
3. Using the dipstick, check the engine oil level.
4. If oil levels are low or below the minimum mark on the dipstick, add oil ensuring not to overfill.
5. Now start the engine and check that the oil pressure light has gone out.
6. If the oil light remains on even after adding oil and levels being normal, immediately switch off the engine and arrange to have your vehicle towed. Do not drive the vehicle, severe engine damage may occur.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris coolant temperature warning light.
Description: This red warning light comes on due to a high engine coolant temperature. The light will initially flash when the coolant temperature is high and will remain illuminated when the coolant temperature increases further.
• Flashing light: Immediately reduce speed in order to reduce engine load. Find a safe place to stop to allow the engine to cool and wait for the warning light to stop flashing / go out.
• Flashing light: The engine is overheating. Immediate attention is required to prevent damage. Stop the vehicle in a safe place and immediately stop the engine.
1. If there is steam coming from the engine compartment, wait for it to subside before opening the bonnet / hood.
2. Wait for 15 to 20 minutes for the engine to cool and check coolant levels. Top up if required.
3. Restart the engine and check that the warning light has gone out. If coolant levels are sufficient and you didn't top up, there may be an issue with the cooling fan belt or water pump. Do not continue driving if the temperature warning light remains on.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris power steering warning light.
Description: This warning light illuminates when a malfunction has been detected wit the electric power steering. On certain versions of the Toyota Yaris, a red or yellow warning light may illuminate. Power steering warning light may illuminate or flash. If the warning light illuminates or flashes while driving, stop the vehicle in a safe place and do not operate the steering wheel. Continuous steering from full lock-to-lock or moving the steering wheel extremely slowly may cause the steering motors to overheat and enter protection mode. When the warning light goes off, you can continue your journey. During protective mode, the steering will feel heavy to operate. If the red warning light illuminates, a more serious fault may have been detected. If the light remains on, it's advised to contact a Toyota workshop for advice before continuing your journey.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris check engine warning light.
Description: The Toyota Yaris check engine warning light is associated with many potential faults. The check engine light may illuminate for the following reasons:
• The level in the fuel tank is very low or approaching empty.
• The electrical system in the engine has a problem.
• A fault has been detected in the emission control system. This is often due to oxygen sensor that needs to be replaced or mass airflow sensor is not functioning properly.
• The fuel-filler cap is missing or not tightened securely.
These issues usually aren't critical but in some cases will require diagnostics tests in order to establish fault codes.
Flashing check engine warning light
If your Toyota Yaris check engine warning light is flashing, it may indicate that the engine is misfiring. Listen out for a rough, uneven sounding engine. This is potentially more critical as it can result in engine / catalytic converter damage. Reduce engine speed and have your vehicle checked by a Toyota workshop immediately.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris AT warning light.
Description: This is the Toyota Yaris automatic transaxle warning light and illuminates when a fault has been detected with the automatic transaxle system. This may be due to a transmission sensor or transmission fluid condition / level. A diagnostics scan tool is required to establish fault codes to determine exactly where the electrical fault is located. Do not ignore this warning light. Continual driving will damage the transaxle.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris DSC warning light.
Description: This warning light flashing indicates that Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS) / (TRC), Anti-locking Braking System (ABS) are working in order to help maintain vehicle stability. This warning light is also known as Electronic Stability Control (ESC) or Vehicle Stability Control (VSC). If the warning remains lit, it means there's a fault with the system. You can continue to drive, but certain vehicle stability system may not function. This is often due to ABS sensors malfunctioning.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris air bag warning light.
Description: This warning light comes on when the air bag / front seat belt pretensioner system has a malfunction. The symbol may constantly illuminate, flash or may not illuminate at all when the ignition is switched on indicating a fault. The system may not operate in an accident. For safety reasons, have the system serviced as soon as possible.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris tyre pressure warning light.
Description: The tyre pressure warning light will either illuminate or flash. If the warning light illuminates, it means that one or more tyres have become deflated. Gently slow the vehicle avoid sharp steering and inspect all four tyres. If the warning light flashes, it means there's a fault with the pressure monitoring system. In this instance, have the system inspected by a qualified workshop. For advice on how to reset the system, see Toyota Yaris Tyre Pressure Reset Procedure and Button.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris key warning light.
Description: The red key and exclamation mark warning light illuminates or the push button start indicator light (amber) flashes indicates that the engine may not start using the traditional methods. In this situation, the engine can be force started. Have the key inside the cabin, depress the clutch (manual) or brake pedal (automatic) and press and hold the push start button until the engine starts.
Flashing key warning light
These are the possible reasons for the Toyota Yaris key warning light flashing:
• The smart key battery is dead. Replace the battery. See Toyota Yaris key battery replacement.
• The smart key is not within the operation range or the smart key inside the cabin is located in a place difficult for the system to detect it.
• Another smart key from an alternative manufacturer is located within operational range. Remove the other smart key.
• The ignition is switched on and the smart key is removed from the cabin, then all the doors are closed.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris key warning light.
Description: For versions of the Toyota Yaris equipped with LED headlights, this light illuminates if there is a malfunction in the LED headlight.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris Smart City Brake Support warning light.
Description: Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) also known as Pre-Crash Safety system (PCS) warning light may illuminate due to a fault or due to the windscreen being dirty and the front sensor vision obscured. Ensure the windscreen is kept clean. The sensor may also temporarily overheat. This could be due to leaving the vehicle parked under the sun on a hot day. When the sensor has cooled, the system will resume operation.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris spanner / wrench warning light.
Description: The spanner / wrench warning light illuminates when the preset maintenance period arrives. It means your vehicle is due a service / oil change.
To reset the Toyota Yaris oil / service reminder light:
1. Switch the ignition on but do not start the car.
2. Press the trip button and select trip A
3. Switch the ignition off.
4. Press and hold the trip button and switch on the ignition (position II), do not start the engine.
5. The service maintenance spanner / wrench will begin to blink.
6. Once it stops blinking and returns to trip A, release the button.
7. The engine service reminder has now been reset.
This reset procedure may not work on all models of the Yaris.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris Brake Override System warning light.
Description: When this warning light comes on, it means that the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal are being depressed simultaneously. Remove your foot from the accelerator pedal and press firmly on the brake. If this light is flashing, it means there's a fault with the Brake Override System. Have the system serviced by a Toyota workshop.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris DPF warning light.
Description: DPF stands for 'diesel particulate filter' and applies only to diesel versions of the Toyota Yaris. A DPF traps harmful soot from being released into the environment. The filter becomes clogged or 'saturated' over time and requires cleaning. Cleaning is usually performed without driver knowledge, but on occasions the process may require driver assistance - this happens more frequently when only short trips are made with the vehicle.
Cleaning the DPF
If the DPF warning light comes on, do the following:
• Continue driving at a speed of 40 mph or more
• Keep the vehicle in a lower gear to keep the engine speed high
• Try to use a road that does not require stopping or slowing down
• After about 10, the cleaning process should be complete. The warning light will go off. If after cleaning the warning light remains on, have the vehicle checked by a Toyota workshop. Damage may occur if ignored.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris fuel filter warning light.
Description: For diesel versions of the Toyota Yaris, the vehicle comes equipped with a filter to separate water from diesel. Over time, water can accumulate in the fuel tank. The filter separates the water but requires emptying. Ignoring this warning light may result in damage. Have the filter inspected by a Toyota workshop as soon as possible.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris lane departure warning light.
Description: This warning light will illuminate when the vehicle / driver unintended deviates from the lane currently being driven in. The lane departure system recognises visible lines with the camera sensor located in front of the rear view mirror at the top of the windscreen. If the system fails to operate correctly, ensure the windscreen is clear from dirt.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris security indicator warning light.
Description: The car and lock symbol is the security indicator warning light. The light flashes after the key has been removed from the ignition switch to indicate that the security immobiliser system is in operation.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris service warning light.
Description: The spanner / exclamation mark warning light indicates that your Yaris requires a scheduled service / maintenance. After the scheduled service / maintenance is complete, the warning light should be reset.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris Smart Entry and Start System warning light.
Description: This warning light indicates a fault with the Smart Entry and Start System. Have the vehicle inspected by a qualified Toyota workshop. If you are having trouble entering the vehicle, try replacing the smart key battery or use the mechanical auxiliary key. Hold the smart key next to the engine start button and press.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris T-belt warning light.
Description: This warning light indicates that the timing belt should be replaced. Have your vehicle booked in as soon as possible. A broken timing belt can cause damage.
|Symbol name: Toyota Yaris stop / start warning light.
Description: The Toyota Yaris automatic engine stop and start system helps to save fuel and reduce exhaust emissions. When the engine is stopped by the system, the green warning light illuminates informing you that the engine has been stopped by the system and not turned off completely.